Monday, March 2, 2020

Rest in Peace, ZOE

Sweet Zoe was put to sleep on Ash Wednesday, February 26. She was 14 years old. She was our first baby. Such a beautiful, adorable Maltese. My parents had her sister, Sally, who died shortly after my dad. And honestly, that is about the time that Zoe's health started to decline. We knew her time was near, so Uncle Greg came over to take our final picture together, as a family of 7! 




The past 2 years, Zoe started sleeping most of the time. Her desire to eat and play declined rapidly. Her health faded, but she kept holding on. The vet kept telling me to keep her comfortable. And we did. She went in and out of phases of being blind, not able to control her bowels, and bouts with fluid build up with her congestive heart failure. But, she remained "comfortable." So, we held on.




There were hard days and good days. Mostly hard. Lots of cuddles, tears and trips to the vet. So, I decided it was time when I saw her covered in her poop. It was black. Come to find out, it was blood! She had a day of bad seizures, so I made her final vet appointment. I had the kids say goodbye to her before school, knowing the likely result of the appointment. The vet said the time had come. Zoe needed her eternal rest.


She laid in my arms, ate a plate of cheese whiz, then was ready for her shot. We got her wrapped up in a blanket, and the vet took her time was amazing. It was hard. But it was so peaceful. Zoe gently fell asleep in my arms. I called Scott to say goodbye to her. Zoe heard his voice the got the shot in my arms. I took the blanket home, and Faith Ann has not let that blanket go!



The kids are sad. They were most sad when they saw her empty corner. Her bed and bowls gone. But, they knew it was time. They saw the pain. They had a lot of questions. We prayed and talked about sweet Zoe. She was my first baby. My only baby that my mom ever held. She was hard to let go. Zoe, you will be missed. You will be remembered. Rest in peace, Zoe!

No comments:

Post a Comment