Monday, December 31, 2012

Merry Christmas

Christmas has a whole new meaning now that I have my boys! All of my focus is on them. I want them to be happy, I want to surround them with good people, I want to keep them involved with our wonderful church, and I want them to enjoy time with family. Christmas is very busy for me since I have taken on the responsibility of filling my moms shoes. We have such a big family (18 immediate family, and growing!) so the shopping, wrapping, decorating, coordinating, planning, cooking for this bunch is quiet the challenge. Mom was so deeply rooted in traditions and family time, which is something that I promised her I would continue. Taking on this responsibility has taught me so much about being a mom. It is a time of being completely selfless, making sacrifices, and constantly thinking of other people.

 As much as I love doing this for my entire family- I don't want it to take away from "my little family" time and traditions. Scott and I reserved Christmas morning just for the 4 of us! It was just us and the boys while opening Santa presents, eating breakfast, and playing with our new loot! It was a slow and remotely quiet morning, we loved it! We took our time and didn't look at the clock once...we just enjoyed simply being with each other! It was a perfect first Christmas for Trent!!!

We do Christmas Eve morning/lunch with my family. Then we do Christmas Eve dinner with Scott's family. Scott's mom was in town this year, so Christmas afternoon we went out to the Woodlands to visit. This year was extra special because Hunter is a great age to get super excited about Christmas. He loved every detail...the Christmas lights, the songs, Santa Claus, reindeer, Christmas trees, and everything else! He loved talking about Santa Claus and looking at him, but he did not want to get too close!
However, his Santa confidence slowly built up. In fact, Santa Claus (aka: Scott's cousin) came to our house Christmas Eve while eating dinner. It was the best moment ever! Truly, this moment was my favorite mother moment so far! Hunter screamed and cried with anxiety when Santa surprised us by walking in the door! Then, he started warming up to Santa and kept shouting "choo-choo, big car!!" That is what he wanted for Christmas! It was adorable. Hunter was jumping up and down and screaming at Santa "choo-choo, big car!" THEN...Santa reached into his bag and handed Hunter a gift. Hunter opened it and started shaking...literally! It was a CHOO-CHOO! That sent Hunter over the edge! He started shaking, jumping, screaming "thank you Santa, thank you Santa, thank you Santa!" Oh my, it was so sweet. Every ounce of his little mind and soul believed. It was such a lesson of innocence and living in the moment. We all (including Santa) had tears of joy as we watched Hunter's reaction!

And sweet Trent, he just went along with the program. He has the ability to exude calmness and contentedness, which is just what we all need during the holiday hussel and bussel! He inspires me everyday to try and be more "go with the flow." He enjoyed Christmas. He enjoyed watching and listening to Hunter's excitement. He loved looking at Christmas lights, and of course he loved all the extra hugs and kisses! He actually attempted to open his presents. He would reach and grab the paper, then shake his arm to loosen the paper. He got a few "grasp toys" which are easy for him to hold. Hunter would clap and say "Yea, Baby Trent playin'!" These boys are so much fun to watch!

All in all...it was a busy Christmas full of laughter, love, food, family, and great memories. I look forward to the many holiday seasons in the future. Each year will bring new adventures! This year has continued to soften my heart and make me appreciate the true meaning of Christmas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment