Monday, December 8, 2014

It's a Family Tradition

We have a lot of traditions in my family. These traditions are only strengthening as more and more children get added. There has been a new baby EVERY Christmas for like 10 years straight! The festivities are now in full swing for Christmas. This past weekend was full of family. My dads side of the family always meets the first weekend in December. It's such a large family, that it's hard to coordinate everyone's schedules if we get too close to Christmas. Problem solved...meet 3 weeks before Christmas! It works out great.
This party used to be at my dads house, and this is the first holiday season that he is not living there anymore. Mom was always the host- for everything! Everyone loved going to "Zsa-Zsa's house." When mom died, the tradition stayed the same. Everything was still at Dad's house. The only difference...I was 22 years old- not an experienced grandmother that had been hosting for 30 years! I dove in head first to hosting large parties! I thought I would miss hosting holiday events at dads house, but I actually haven't looked back. Dad is SO happy where he is, and everything has fallen into place nicely. Very smooth and happy transition.
Scott and I host Christmas Eve, Easter, and all of the birthday's throughout the year....with such a large family- that is a lot of hosting. Our house always tends to be the gathering spot for family, friends, kids, everyone! However, it is such a treat for me to be a guest sometimes too! My cousin just bought a beautiful home in the Heights. It has been added onto, so there was plenty of playing space for the 19 kids...yes 19!! My cousin was eager to take on the Christmas party tradition at her new house. So, I got to pass the hosting hat over. It was so nice to kick back a little! We all pitched in. We have a huge brunch, and everyone brings a dish. We set up the food buffet style. Everyone grabbed their own paper plate, sat wherever there was an open chair, the kids were everywhere and the husbands watched football! Such a simple, FUN day!
Then my cousin and her children spent the night at our house. They live in Dallas and it's always such a treat to visit. Her children are about the same age as my kiddos. Her daughter is just a month younger than Faith Ann, so we had lots to talk about! We ordered pizza that night. My brother and his family walked over to hang out. Lots of family time!
Then, one of our favorite Christmas traditions....cutting down our Christmas tree!! My cousin wanted to join us before she drove back to Dallas. So we headed to the Christmas tree farm first thing in the morning. My brother and his crew joined for the experience. It was a cold morning. We bundle up and had a blast! We rode the tractor, played games, and walked all around the farm to find 'the tree!!' Hunter was running around so excited. Trent was in awe at all the trees, and Faith Ann was all snuggled up in the stroller. We have done this every year since we were married, and it is only getting better and better each year. The kids look forward to it, and I know this will be one of their childhood traditions that they treasure!
We ended the action packed weekend with decorating the tree. My dad (Pardner) and Scott's dad (Grandpa) came over. Hunter wanted to wear pajamas, eat breakfast food and have Becky Lou over to decorate. So, we called my other brother and told them to come decorate. My sister in law and the 3 kids came over in pajamas. We had breakfast food, hot chocolate, and cookies. The tree looks wonderful. Hunter may have started a new tradition for us! Decorating the tree with breakfast for dinner and pajamas!
Something feels extra special about this Christmas! Hunter and Trent get SO excited about everything. Their joy for Christmas is contagious! Faith Ann is looking precious in all her Christmas outfits...adorable. She continues to give me this peace like no other. We had a memorable weekend, and we have so much to be grateful for this Christmas season.We continue to carry on traditions, and we are adding a few here and there. Priceless memories come along with traditions. I have to say...so far, this holiday season is quiet memorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment