Friday, July 13, 2018

Jellystone Park

Jellystone Park. Just 45 minutes from home!! We had a BLAST!!!! However, my dad started hospice the day we were scheduled to leave. My dad said, "you are going. I will not let you steal any joy away from my grandkids. Have them come say goodbye, then go let them be children!" So, that's what we did! My kids all had some alone time with Pardner, to say their goodbyes. Dad was mostly sleeping during that visit, but my kids got their closure. Trent got his last hug...Trent LOVED to hug my dad! Then, Scott and the kids were off to Jellystone.


Jellystone was just a 27 minute drive from my dads. So, I was back and forth all weekend. This allowed time and space for ALL the family, friends that filled dads room. He was full of visitors. I spent hours there a day, and even spent the night with dad...just to drive back to Jellystone in the morning. So, I was divided all weekend.


My heart was fully with my dad, but I also had to wear my "protective momma" hat too. My children have seen enough with my dad. They came with me everyday for years. They have seen the sickest of sick. They have thought about death, pain, suffering, Heaven WAY more than any young children should. Way more than their brains are ready for. So, this time away allowed them closure. It was a really nice get-away. Simple, outdoors and just what we needed. Foam parties, golfing, waterslides, lazy river, camping activities, outdoor movies and more. Really good Texas style summer fun!



Every trip I would make back and forth, the kids would ask a lot of questions. I was honest with them from the start. They knew they would never see Pardner again. Trent said, "Pardner would really love it here. Let's call this our 'Pardner trip!'" My dad would have loved it. Simplicity at its finest.


It was a really a great trip of reflection. We talked about Pardner, A LOT! We talked about Heaven, A LOT! Their little minds grasp way more than we know! Their perspective actually really helped me during that weekend. I would drive back from holding my dads hand as he was drifting away...to watching my carefree children soak up the moment! Watching moments pass and slip away with my dad...to watching memories being made with my children. It was very therapeutic. And exactly what God had planned when we scheduled this trip months ago! 

There were a lot of hugs. Tons of laughs and excitement. My children LOVED Jellystone. I look forward to going back when I can be fully present. We will be back! Scott took over the weekend. He is amazing. He allowed me to go back and forth with grace. He really is my rock. My life.


I spent the night with my dad on the final night of our stay. I hugged dad and told him I had to drive back to pick up the kids from Jellystone. He died 14 minutes after I left. As the hospice nurse previously prepared me for by saying, "patients rarely die with their closest love in the room with them." Dad told her that I was his "everything." So, she prepared me...."when you are someones everything...they will not let go with their everything by their side." Well, she was right. 14 minutes after I drove away.


I talked to the nurse on the phone as I pulled up to the cabin to pick up the kids and Scott. I opened the door and said, "Pardner just passed. On my moms birthday!! They are together again. And he so peacefully went to Heaven." Scott got a slight panic in his eyes...thinking, "now what??" But quickly ran to hug me. A long hug. The kids saw the hug and immediately understood that Pardner was gone. There was relief, sadness, and happiness as I know mom greeted him at Heavens gates on her birthday! Jellystone will forever hold a special place in my heart. It is where I will forever remember my dads passing. It will forever be the place that brought joy during such a hard time. We love Jellystone!

No comments:

Post a Comment