Thursday, January 3, 2019

Christmas JOY

Pictures with Santa!!! Always a favorite adventure. We go to Bass Pro Shops, and the kids love it. They have all sorts of games and stuffed wild animals. The kids didn't have an ounce of fear this year, which means they are growing up!!
 
Christmas came early for the kids!! We surprised them with their own real life playhouse!! Complete with electricity and A/C! This was my brothers office in his backyard, and he no longer used it. So, we hired Victor to take it apart and build it in our yard. We put a couch and TV in it. I told the kids to put all their "annoying" toys that have a million pieces, are loud, and messy in the lodge! They are obsessed!!!!! We let them "decorate" it however they wanted, and we even put Christmas lights on it!




We always host my dads side of the family in early December. This year was bittersweet since we gathered in Dads memory. I always enjoy this party with my aunts and cousins. My cousins all have kids, so it turns out to be a very fun party! We all make brunch and open a gift. My cousin, Sarah, along with her husband and 4 kids all spent the night. So did Veronica and the kids. We had air mattresses, pallets and blankets everywhere. It was SO FUN!!




Then, the next morning we had the Evetts family "Christmas Eve" gathering. Just me and my siblings. We usually do it on Christmas Eve, but since Chad and Veronica will be back in Brownwood...we decided to do it early! We usually open presents from my parents. I shop all year long, then my dad watched everyone open them! Ha! It was kind of weird not to have to do all that shopping this year, but it was also kind of nice! I still kept the tradition alive by buying everyone a couple little treats "in memory of Zsa Zsa and Pardner." I made pancakes and we enjoyed a laid back morning. It was a perfect family Christmas.
The month was filled with parties and activities. Westside had a great display and Brunch with Santa. Faith Ann had a million cute dresses that she wore all month! One of our favorite parties is with our lifelong friends and their kids. It is such a great group!! There are 14 kids between us!!! Our friends all live close by and we see them often, but we have kept up our "friend Christmas gathering."




We did lots of fun activities at home too!! I tried to make everyday special after school and during their Christmas break. We either made cookies, our made pallets under the Christmas tree to watch movies!! They even slept there one night!
 
The joy filled my heart this season. Yes, I miss my parents fiercely...but, I have a deepened appreciation for the health, laughter, simplicity, and each smile that makes memories! I just LOVE this letter that Hunter left for Santa! "Dear Santa, you don't only bring presents. You bring joy, love, family together and peace." I have framed this letter and plan on using if for decoration every year!!

The elves "Marshmallow and Joy" moved each day. This was such a fun memory for the kids. They would sprint around the house until they found them and would leave notes and candy for them!! Their happiness and excitement made December such a memorable special time! Christmas Eve was great. Mom's brother (Uncle Jim and Aunt Janis, with cousin Katie) came in for lunch. Beau made mom's gumbo, and it was great!!! We ate gumbo and visited for hours. Perfection. Scott's brother and Dad came too for a very casual dinner. Then, we went to Christmas Eve church service. The kids made a pallet with their new sleeping bags in the boys room. They slept quietly all night!


Christmas day was amazing!!! Hunter was excited with his American Ninja Warrior buzzer to hang on the tree, Twister game and HUGE Crayola kit! Trent got his anticipated camo BBgun, Zoom tubes for cars, and Beyblades!!! And FaithAnn was overjoyed with her new helmet, nail polish kit, and Smart Watch!! Each sibling gets to draw a name to buy a gift. They do chores all month to earn money, and I take them shopping, and it is always a favorite to open Christmas morning. There is so much pride in the gift.



Grandpa and Uncle Greg came to see the gifts and play. Greg surprised them with Tetherball, so they were super excited!! Then, Gigi came over for dinner. She made dinner and brought it with her. So nice to be able to have an easy day with no preparation!! We played all day. Stayed in pajamas until afternoon! So casual, so easy, so perfect.

The day after Christmas was FaithAnn's special time. We had her friends over for a cookie playdate! We made cookies and danced! Such an adorable group of girls!! I even got to spend a ton of time with my niece and nephews while they were off of school. I snuck in lunch with Sam and Jake, and it was such special time!! Christmas came and went fast. It was hard without dad. Hard without parents. It was a "transition year." But, it was a great year! Bottled up memories that I will treasure. JOY is the word that I will hold close to heart!
 






No comments:

Post a Comment