Saturday, August 22, 2015

Life Lesson in Action

Summer is winding down, and we are starting to put all of our focus on back to school next week! Hunter starts at Rummel Creek Elementary next week, and Trent starts after Labor Day at our church school (MDUMC.) Hunter will go 5 days a week, full school days! He is so ready!! We had his 'meet the teacher' the other day. He has Ms. Hansen (Ms. Barnes is her aid). Ms. Hansen is one of my friends, so I am excited too! Trent will go 2.5 days, and he is also ready to start this chapter of his life. His teacher (Ms. Melissa) is coming over to our house next week to meet Trent! But, before we fully focus on school...we have had an action packed ending to our summer!
We have had the usual birthday parties, playdates, and outdoor neighborhood fun with friends! We went to Rockport last weekend with some friends. We had a great, low key weekend! EXCEPT for the drive there!! Yall, it was devastating! I'll spare the details, but Scott and I were first on the scene on a head on collision on 59, close to Rockport.
The kids were with us. The sight was traumatic, unreal! We instantly jumped into action. Ran out of the car while I called 911 because the man was hanging out of his totally mangled car with the seat belt about to decapitate him. Again, I will spare the details! Scott ran to the car and the seat belt had to be cut with a knife to release the man. We thought he was dead. Unconscious, non responsive! Another man ran to help carry him away from the car that was leaking tons of fluids! The other car had a family (mom, dad and about 10 year old daughter.) They were all conscious just lots of shock and injuries.
I ran to get diapers to put on the daughters head because there was so much blood, and those diapers were life savers! They absorbed WAY more than a towel. The paramedics said they may have to start carrying diapers! I was on the phone with 911 as they talk me through CPR. They opened his shirt to see he was barely breathing, so no CPR needed. Just talking to him, hand holding, praying until paramedics got there. Life changing experience!
The kids were in the car getting a front row seat to this drama! I ran back to the truck to talk to them. They were crying, thinking we were hurt, thinking the man was dead, thinking I was going to get hit by a car, etc! My adrenaline was pumping, but I calmed down to talk to them and explain that we are helping. I sat in the car with them for a few minutes and just explained the situation and answered their questions. I gave them a snack then went back out to direct traffic...which I am terrible at! I was waving the cars back and away! This man was like "wave them to the right rather than telling them to just go away!" So, I lost my traffic duty to a much more capable man and I sat with the little girl that was devastated. Her mom was in too much shock to comfort her, so I tried my best!
The other man was starting to slightly respond by the time paramedics got there, which made us feel so much better! We answered questions and left because the professionals needed their space. And just like that...we went on our way as these peoples lives are forever changed! Our lives changed too in an entirely different way. We saw how fast things happen! We saw how every second matters when you are behind the wheel! Life lesson that I will never forget!
Yes, it was awful. Yes, it was scary for our kids to witness. But, they also got to see their parents sacrifice to help others, they got to see a small community of people gather and work as a team, they also witnessed the power of prayer! They got to experience how fragile life is. But, I am glad that our kids now truly understand the importance of car/carseat safety, and the importance of always relying on prayer! We held hands and prayed until the ambulance got there. When life is scary, when life is uncertain, when you are powerless....just pray. And this was a moment in our life that we did just that. I don't know the outcome from wreck. But, I do know that this will forever be embedded in my mind! God Bless those families!
The rest of the weekend was perfection! Lots of swimming, beach walking, and playing. We love the family we went with so much. Our kids are all best buds! So, we enjoyed every moment of the weekend get away! I didn't take any pictures, but strangely enjoyed the off time and didn't have my phone near me! The rest of the summer days have been filled with Hunter growing too fast, Trent talking way more than he ever has, and Faith Ann being a total Diva! She is hilarious! Her 'diva-ness' deserves an entirely separate post! She is cracking us up!







No comments:

Post a Comment