Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Frio River Reunion

Most likely our favorite tradition...Leakey, Tx annual vacation. My dads side of the family goes to the Frio River every June, and it is always a treasured time. The kids are at the perfect ages to be obsessed with this weekend trip. We make it a long weekend and stay for 4 days. Same cabins every year...Camp Live Oak.



 With my cousins on my dads side of family and their kids. This was the first summer since dad passed away, so that was definitely bittersweet. Dad hasn't joined us in a couple years because of his health, but knowing he was actually gone made it hard. Leakey was his favorite place on Earth. He wants his ashes scattered there, but we haven't received them yet (because he donated his body to science, so it takes longer to receive.) So, we will be honored to one day spread his ashes at Leakey, on the Frio River...where some of his most treasured memories took place! We are continuing the tradition in his memory!



 Trent and I spent an extra amount of alone time together. He kept wanting to "take a walk with me,  or play catch, or help me cook." He and my dad were kindred souls, so I almost felt my dads presence in Trent's tenderness. Gosh, that boy is special!!!! They loved every second with their cousins. They are all just adorable together. Such an ease in their chemistry!! The played the entire time!


 My cousin Sarah has twin baby girls, 2 years old. My children are obsessed with them. It was so special to see my boys have such a gentleness and love for babies. And of course, FaithAnn couldn't keep her hands off! Judging how much they all love babies....looks like I am going to be a very busy grandmother!!! Which will make me over the moon. Hopefully, the love of the Frio River tradition lasts through the generations.



 We floated the Frio River, it was 2.5 hour float. The kids did great and even made some stops to jump off a cliff!! Which by the way, it is confirmed that Trent is scared of heights. He has sent some signs that he is over the years, but now that he is able to verbalize his emotions better....YES, he is scared of heights. He is brave and always wants to do it, then he really struggles with following through. He usually takes the jump, climb, etc....but he definitely has a safe respect for heights.


 And sweet 11 year old Bentley is still making the trip with us. It is her favorite weekend of the year. She is getting old, and the rocks are really hurting her feet. She loves swimming in the Frio! She spent a lot of time sleeping and recovering from the swimming. Such a good dog!



 Scott has been coming with me to the Frio River for 20 years now!!! This was his "20th anniversary." He started coming with me in high school, which is so funny to think about now! But, my mom knew he was something special. So, she allowed him to join. And he hasn't missed a year since.




 We spent our days floating, swimming, fishing, walking, sitting, talking, games and tons of laughter! Hunter LOVES his cousins fiercely. He is the biggest family man of all. He loves hard! And has a deep love for the Leakey card game "spoons!" hahaha! Trent plays hard...that kid didn't stop for one second. Scott kept saying "Trent is such a beast!" Because he would exercise with me in the morning, then play and swim non stop until 10pm! He's so cool!


 I got a new phone, which has an unbelievable camera!! So, all the families wanted portraits of them. Such awesome pictures. They were unplanned, candid and perfect. Just the way I want to remember the Frio River!




 My sweet girl....FaithAnn is such a trooper. That girl can hang! She is in the middle of everything, jumping cliffs, playing baseball and hitting homeruns, painting rocks, and was my cousin Sarah's biggest helper! She is such a delight to be around. Such an easy soul!




 Lots of good food, cold drinks and outdoor fun. The Frio River never disappoints, and this year was no exception. The hill country has a special place in my heart. This annual tradition has a special place in my heart. A piece of my childhood planted in my children. Happy memories.






No comments:

Post a Comment