Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Dermatologist & Beach Visit

We went to the dermatologist, which we are grateful that we got a last minute appointment! But first, we went to the beach last weekend. Faith Ann enjoyed her first time on the beach. The boys played in the waves with daddy while Faith Ann and I relaxed in the shade. She sat in the bouncy chair and dozed on and off. I fed her on the beach- I tucked the blanket into my bikini straps and it worked like a charm. It was windy, but my bathing suit held down the blanket and no one even noticed! We ate lunch on the beach and had a great day. Faith Ann was in the shade 90% of the time, but she still got a little pink in the face. I felt guilty, but that is just a reminder on how sensitive their baby skin is!!
Speaking of skin, we had our big dermatologist appointment! It was 6 weeks away, but my cousins husband is the Senior Vice President of Texas Children's. He sent a picture of Faith Ann's birthmark to a few of the pediatric dermatologist asking their opinion. Well, I got a phone call from one of the doctors the next day! She offered to see me that day on her lunch break! This made me nervous...thinking, "she saw the picture and wants to see me today- what is wrong?!" She assured me that she just wanted to see Faith Ann before the mark made any more changes to establish a baseline. Grateful that we didn't have to wait the 6 weeks!!
Scott came home from work to watch the boys because the appointment was very last minute, and I had to take advantage of the opportunity. Faith Ann and I headed to Texas Childrens...I really dislike the medical center! Parking was awful- I valeted at the wrong building, ugh! Anyways, we made it on time and I really liked the doctor!
She immediately gave a diagnosis, her confidence was reassuring! It is a "Segmental Superficial Infantile Hemangioma." That is a mouthful!! Let me explain...it is totally cosmetic, nothing serious and will fade or go away in the coming years. Segmental means that it covers a larger area instead of a small cluster. This also means that it is a 'thin' hemangioma...meaning it should not form a raised cluster of vessels because it is just below the skins surface. It covers a larger space, but is thinner than a typical hemangioma. She says this is good in terms of it fading, but it tends to look a little more "unsightly" in the meantime.
It shouldn't get much worse than it is now. She suspects that the fading process will begin around 12 months old. She said "it should disappear or greatly improve between 1-3 years old." My main concern was if this was a sign of something more serious....no it is not! AMEN! My other concern was is there something we can do if it causes her insecurities later in life...yes, a minor laser treatment will completely remove it. Good to know that she will have that option is she wants it!
She wants to see Faith Ann in one month to check the progress. Then, she will see me a couple more times before her first birthday. She said, "enjoy this part of her baby years because it will be a distant memory one day." She encouraged me to take pictures and embrace this part of her body. She was a very sweet doctor. Great doctor appointment with good news. We all agree that the upper inner arm is a great place for something like this, and I will deal with the question "what is on her arm??" I know I will hear that, but now I know SHE won't have to hear that question her whole life! I pray for health over my children. I also pray for confidence, and this is one less thing that she will have worry about as she is going through those tough teenage years.
As I talk about praying- let me say a prayer for all those sweet children I saw while at Texas Childrens! My heart hurt! I got tears in my eyes and a frog in my throat! The pain and worry on the parents faces, speechless! I saw a few children with limp and tired bodies...I can't even type without my eyes filling with tears! God Bless those families!
I will keep taking pictures of her hemangioma to document changes. I feel good about the prognosis. I hug Faith Ann knowing how special life is. Life is fragile, life is so so special. I love my children. I adore my sweet Faith Ann, and I will kiss this hemangioma a million times before it becomes part of our history! By the way...she now 9.4 lbs!!! Gaining weight at a fast pace, you go girl!!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete