Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Happy Birthday Zsa-Zsa

Today is my mom's birthday, she would have been 69 years old. My family always gets together at Princes Hamburger for dinner in her memory, she loved a good hamburger! She also loved frilly, girly things- so of course, I dressed Faith Ann like a princess today in her honor...sparkly tutu, flowers, and bows! I often wonder what my life would be like if mom was here! She would ADORE my children and be eating up Faith Ann. My life would definitely be easier and my children would get an overdose of love. I have no one that can "drop everything and help me" to call on...that is what a mom is for! Yes, I am a "motherless mother" and it is pretty challenging at times. I hear my friends say, "my mom has the kids while I go to do this or that" or "the kids are spending the night at my moms house." Nope, I never get the oppurtunity to have that security or helping hand. But, it is also a wonderful blessing in disguise!
She gave me the gift of living motherhood in reverse. You see, I know what a mother thinks about upon her death. I know what a mother regrets, I know what a mother remembers and wishes she did differently. Knowing what I, one day, will think about as a dying mother has shaped me and has shaped the way I mother my children. It has given me a wonderful view of motherhood that many never get the gift of having! God gave me a different journey than most young mothers. While it is hard, it is also such a gift that I am growing to appreciate!
In my mom's last days, she told me so many treasured pieces of motherhood advice. I often use her words to get me through tough days and moments. My children may not have my mom in their lives, and I may not have the help that only a mother can provide...but, my children do have a mother that truly knows the depth and value of each moment- thanks to my mom! My experience with mom has made me enjoy motherhood way more than I would have- for that, I am thankful! Happy Birthday MOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment